Although there have been advances in medical technology and donation, the demand for organ, eye and tissue donation still vastly exceeds the number of donors. For more information, read the summary below or create a detailed data report on the UNOS Web site.
More than 123,000 men, women and children currently need lifesaving organ transplants.Every 10 minutes another name is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- Sadly, an average of 21 people die each day because the organs they need are not donated in time.In 2014, more than 8,500 deceased donors made possible approximately 24,000 organ transplants. In addition, there were nearly 6,000 transplants from living donors.
- Nearly 48,000 sight-restoring corneal transplants were performed in the U.S. in 2014.
- Each year, approximately 30,000 tissue donors save and heal lives.
- More than 1 million tissue transplants are done each year and the surgical need for tissue has been steadily rising.
- According to research, 98% of all adults have heard about organ donation and 86% have heard of tissue donation.
- 90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor.
Just a few fact’s that I think needed to be said again.